In 1874, European immigrants of the Catholic faith were moving their families to a place full of promise for better jobs and better education – Youngstown, Ohio. But educators for those children were few. That’s why a priest at St. Columba Cathedral asked his sister, an Ursuline nun in Cleveland, and some of her Sisters to relocate here to teach. They arrived Sept. 18.
 
shwcross1In the 140 years since then, we have served tirelessly, adapting our ministries to meet the needs of God’s people in the Mahoning Valley. Many companies, organizations and families have come and gone in that time, but the we have remained constant in our commitment to offer our spirit, vision and presence to the greater Youngstown area.
 
We minister in education, health care, social service, parish work. Thousands of people are helped through our current ministries.
 
“The monuments to the work of the Sisters in imitation of Jesus are not found in buildings or plaques,” observes Sister Mary McCormick, our General Superior. “They are found in the lives of people who have been taught by an Ursuline, who have been touched with a healing word or gesture, who have been comforted by prayer or silent presence, who have been strengthened by these determined women standing with them, advocating for their needs.”
 
A few highlights of our ministries include:
 
1874: Established ministry in Youngstown
1905: Established Ursuline High School
1963: Established Ursuline Preschool and Kindergarten
1991: Began Beatitude House Ministry
1993: Began HIV/AIDS Ministry
1997: Established The Ursuline Center educational ministry
1998: Established Youngstown Community School
2013: Established Ursuline Sisters Senior Living
 
“While we remember our heritage with pride and sometimes a little nostalgia, we look to the future,” Sister Mary states.
 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.